29 October 2021 · News and Recommendations
Getting Road Trip Ready to Discover NSW
While we’re contemplating our next international flight to somewhere exotic, think about this for a moment. You can experience some of the world’s most breathtaking vistas and destinations without having to leave NSW borders.
Some like the coast, some like the outback, many seek the mountain escape, others the rural retreat. Whatever the destination, it’s all about the journey and that “oh what a feeling” drive. Read on for fantastic locations you can explore.
5 NSW Road Trip Suggestions
A trip to the Blue Mountains is the quintessential Sydneysider day trip. Mountain towns such as Katoomba, Leura, Medlow Bath, and Black Heath, provide access to Australia’s most stunning mountain vistas. See the Jamison Valley and Megalong Valley. Take the scenic railway to Katoomba falls, and eat lunch by the Iconic 3 sisters.
NSW South Coast
A South Coast adventure begins at Wollongong, which is the gateway to the stunning south coast. Kiama, Merimbula, Jervis Bay, and Eurobodalla are just the beginning. Snorkel with seals, laze on the beach, and enjoy a south coast culinary seafood degustation.
Just two hours from Sydney, the Hunter Valley is for wine lovers who cherish the romance of the cellar door. Sample the Hunter’s finest wines while chatting with the wine maker or book a round of Golf by the Vintage, or Cypress Lakes.
Cross the divide wherever you choose and head west to Outback NSW. Australia’s heartland offers a big sky and open planes. Nowhere else gives you the opportunity to appreciate Australia’s endless great expanse from the comfort of your car. Discover opal in White Cliffs, sheep stations in Bourke, or camp by the Darling River, with Emus, camel, and lazy red roos.
At the height of summer or the snowy depth of winter, the Snowy Mountains offer a range of activities. Ski, catch a trout, camp, or glamp. Nestle by a perfect fire, or swim in the famous snowy river.
Stunning wilderness and an encounter with a brumby are only a half day’s drive from the city.
To reach your destination, your car has to get you there and back without incident. Ensuring your vehicle is road trip ready is the key to carefree exploration.
How to get Your Car Road Trip Ready?
Having your car serviced with the Terry Shields service team is the wise choice for a pre-road trip vehicle inspection. However, in addition, doing your own vehicle inspection before you take a road trip is critical. Here are the things you can do at home to ensure your vehicle is road trip ready.
1. Check all of your vehicle fluids. Check your engine oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine coolant, and windscreen fluid. Rectify any deficits with the recommended fluids.
2. Make sure your tyres are in good condition and have the correct tyre pressures. Check for tread level, and uneven wear. You can check pressures at a service station or better still carry a tyre pressure gauge in the glove box. The same tyre checks are also necessary for anything you are towing, such as a boat, trailer, or caravan.
3. Importantly, if you’re towing a caravan or camper trailer, you must check all hitch components. If your caravan or trailer has been sitting unused for some time, this is even more critical.
Components such as wheel bearings and tyres can become compromised over periods of inactivity. For seamless towing never be in a hurry, and always double check that everything is secured. And for safe lane changes, ensure your side mirrors are adjusted for the extra width and length of the towed vehicle.
4. A selection of spare parts is a good idea, particularly for journeys to remote destinations. Spare engine cooling hoses, a fan belt, wiper blades, a selection of fuses, engine oil, and water/coolant can cover many common break-down situations. A set of jumper leads to start the car should the battery go dead is an essential inclusion. Browse our comprehensive range of Genuine Toyota Parts and Accessories and customise your car for your upcoming adventure.
5. Non-Vehicle Essentials: A smooth trip isn’t all about the mechanics. Comfort and convenience in the vehicle cabin is the bedrock of a happy drive. Kids' games and entertainment are critical inclusions, particularly for the longer drives. Here are some classic device-free Aussie road trip games the whole family will enjoy.
Plan the routes before you leave, estimate arrival times, and schedule breaks. Be aware that locations you may pass through may not have data access. It’s a good idea to have the latest maps of the places you visit.
A Toyota for the Trip of a Lifetime
Now that you’re dreaming of your next NSW road trip, imagine how much more you could explore in a Toyota!
There’s a Toyota fit for every adventure. Browse our new models and pre-owned range today. Contact our team at Terry Shields Toyota on 1300 584 179 to book a test drive along with a personal demonstration. The adventure starts now.